Tuesday, October 23, 2007

FO: One Less Pair of Socks on the Needles!

YIPPEE!! The nights are supposed to get down in the 40's and high 30's this week so these socks will feel oh so cozy! They are made from Austerman from my stash; sorry no label for the colorway. They have a great feel to them...very soft although I really cannot tell the difference of knitting them with the aloe and jojoba oil in the yarn. However, I do LOVE the soft tweedy colors in their yarns. I knit a pair for me in the Denim colorway that I really liked until I caught my 11 year old son (whose feet are bigger than mine), wearing them while playing basketball in the driveway. He was doing so without any shoes. He stretched them out and they showed a lot of wear on the heels from the concrete. GRRR! They are now his socks. So I had to get busy on this pair for me. I just did a simple 2 x 2 ribbing for the cuffs.
Introducing my new sock blockers! I never block my socks to dry. I just dry them flat. However I wanted a way to showcase them better for blog pictures. Thanks to Maryann

I made some quick, easy and inexpensive sock blockers out of a plastic placemat from Walmart. Yes, it is not greatly attractive (I do so love the wooden ones), but when showing socks, the blocker is covered anyway. I could not resist doing this for around $1.50. Look on Maryann's website for her great instructions. I simplified it by just taking a knit sock that fit me and tracing around it on the placemat and cutting it out and then making a duplicate. It took less than 10 minutes and only one placemat. Such a deal!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Cute socks and I love your sock blockers! My mom got me an old pair of wooden sock blockers for Christmas, but they're children's sized. Oh, Mom.