Sunday, November 11, 2007

Starting Mystic Waters Lace Shawl

I have always loved water. Whether it was playing in mudpuddles or sending leaf boats down the street drainage system during a heavy rain when I was a kid or swimming in anything bigger than a puddle, I have always been naturally drawn to water.
It is mesmerizing how it moves, how the color changes, how the light plays with it and how it changes "mood" with the wind or calm. Now I get to play with a new kind of water: the Mystic Waters Lace Shawl KAL.
This is just the very tip of the iceberg so to speak for a very intricate large shawl. However, it is fascinating to see clue by clue how it is evolving. I love working with the Angel Hair laceweight from here. The yarn is soft, lofty and oh so wonderful with very subtle variations in color.
To add a bit of sparkle and to add a little weight for drape, I am adding beads from my stash along the border. I am only adding them to the top and bottom of the large diamond motifs. They are "Black Opal" colorway beads from my stash and are green/blue/purple/bronze which compliment the subtle yarn variations well. I wanted something very subtle so it would not interfere with the intricacy of the lace pattern.

This is definately a "thinking" knit and I know the progress will be slow. I just started and so I have 3 clues waiting to evolve and the 4th of 8 will come out on Wednesday. I am not so concerned with "catching up". I just want to enjoy the process and being part of my first KAL.

KNIT ON!!

4 comments:

Landpomeranze said...

Very beautiful, your Mystic Waters and brillant colours. I like it.
You have a very nice blog. I like to read it.
Greetings from Germany
Petra

Karen said...

Lovely start on the Mystic Waters. I am still trying to decide what to use - MS#3 may get sacrificed for the Mystic Waters (this would mean I would already have beads!).

You seem to have good luck ordering from Joslyn's. I have purchased a few things there without mishap, but lots of others have had very delayed experiences, to say the least. Do you visit in person perhaps? Lots of us out here would like to know your secret!

BAAbins said...

Thank you for the great comments on Mystic Waters. As far as the Angel Hair from Joslyn's Fiber Farm, it was yarn I had in my stash from a few years ago. I lived in WI at that time and delivery was not a problem. I am so sorry to hear that there is a delay now. Hang in there; the yarn is worth it.

Sonya said...

That is going to be beautiful! Your colorway is perfect.