Monday, November 19, 2007

Inspiration: Spinning Jenny

Sorry, no pictures today. Remember? I was the DUH who forgot to take a camera to the spinning workshop here to learn from Jenny. You may want to check out Beth's blog or Jenny's for pictures. However, I do want to share some insights from my experience of taking two full day classes. Friday's class was Spinning Thick, Medium and Thin Yarns. Saturday's class was Plying Techniques. I learned so many tips that it would make your head spin to hear them all. (I took 20 small pages of notes and that does not include the handouts!). I could describe all the details until you say, "Egads, girl! Get over it already!" but I choose not to. You could learn every one of these techniques in various ways. I choose to put a more personal twist on my experience.

I truly believe there are no coincidences and that once a need/wish/want is planted in your brain and heart, avenues open up to guide you towards that journey. That said, I have been feeling "stuck". Spinning and knitting for about 4 years, I still consider myself a newbie. There is so much more to experience and learn. Once I learn a new technique, it opens a door to a myriad of others I want to try. I love to learn; I love challenges, and I love to grow.

I currently production spin but I have been feeling frustrated and want to take it further. I want to be in more control of the outcome and not have to rely on other people's shipments of fiber or deadlines. I don't mind deadlines. However, when I am waiting on other people, it sometimes makes it difficult to plan or schedule my own time. This is further compounded by a very busy husband and two very busy children. I have been feeling anxiety and frustration where I want to find balance.

I have been feeling "stuck" in my abilities. I love to experiment, to create, to challenge myself. However, since first sitting down with Lisa, and watching her spin which opened the world of spinning to me, I have been basically self taught. That includes anything that I have read or tried on my own. Yes, I can make nice yarn but I wanted to know the why's and the how's and have some guidelines. So, once I understood the mechanics, I could troubleshoot, plan, experiment and control what I'm doing. Also, once you learn the rules, it gives you a base knowledge and a starting point of tweaking and bending the rules. See, I do really have a bit of renegade in me; the nuns didn't repress all of that. Haha. That being said, it is very hard if you are on your own to decipher what is the "best" approach from myriads of differing opinions in print.

I said aloud to no one in particular (possibly my cats and Collie) that this was the year I wanted to learn all the options my wheel could do. Hey, give me a break! I often talk aloud when I am home by myself! Sometimes it keeps my sanity if only briefly. Haha. With so many wheels on the market, I have my favorites but before I ever invested in another wheel, I wanted to learn more about my own. I love my Schacht Matchless Double Treadle and would NEVER sell it. However, Sadie (my wheel) may want a bigger sister someday...a Saxony production wheel. It is an investment; so I wanted to learn all my options. First, however, I felt I needed to know the basics of wheels in general, different ratios, etc.

Another thing I said to myself, Tigger, Jaguar or Simba, was that I really wish I knew more about spinning so that I could do more. I have quite the stash of wonderful rovings but I promised myself that before I touched my favorites, I would learn how to get from point A to point B. For instance, if I had a sweater in mind that I wanted to spin for and I wanted a certain weight of yarn, say DK, how do I use that fleece to the best of my ability to produce a lofty, consistent, luxurious yarn? Or if I want to spin laceweight the size of frog's hair. What??? You've never seen frog's hair?? Okay that's what I mean...so fine and delicate that it would make angels sing. HOW do I do it?? It is very difficult to learn to ask the right questions about something if you have not experienced enough to learn what to ask. I wanted to learn as many basics as I could so that I could try on my own and then grow to ask the questions that would eventually follow. AND I wanted to meet people who could answer these questions.

I know that is a pretty tall order and I may want it all. People say you can't have everything you want. Well do you know what I say? Why not? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. One of the best things I have learned over the years is that when I get to a point where I am "stuck" or frustrated in my life, it is a time to sit back and reflect a bit because it usually means big changes are coming. Change can be hard, change can be scary but change is also wonderful and exhilarating! I know I am headed for a big change now but in what direction or where it will take me is the mystery. I will try to remain open and relish the adventure.

On my personal quest to grow in the spinning realm, I was fortunate to hear that Beth was hosting Jenny Bakriges at her shop. The title of the classes grabbed me...short, sweet, to the point and describing what I wanted to learn. I have to admit, so sorry Jenny, that I had NO idea who Jenny was. Being a newbie to blogging, Beth did point me to her blog and I did peruse the last post or two. Plus after seeing Jenny's portfolios at the workshop, I had realized I have been reading her articles in Spin Off without even making the connection. However, I went into this workshop totally without any preconceptions, without any expectations. and without any specific questions. AND I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!

I am so fortunate to have crossed paths with Jenny. She is a woman who appears to be very comfortable in her own skin. She is gracious, giving, genuine, diplomatic and absolutely hilarious. She presents TONS of information in a fun, creative and very entertaining fashion. It was wonderful to spend two days with her. Her knowledge of spinning techniques was astounding; her personal stories and shared experiences were fascinating and her willingness to take the time to trouble shoot and help her students obtain the comfort level they each needed was truly impressive. She makes spinning intuitive.

I was so impressed by her heartfelt words spoken of her mentor, Rita Buchanan. I believe we owe a lot to others who have "gone before us". I have always said that "Not one of us is as great as all of us together". No matter how "expert" we are in a field, we can always learn and grow from others. It was truly inspiring to meet Jenny and see her in action, represent qualities that I admire. I believe when someone does a job well, they need to know it. Life is not a competition. It does not hurt us in any way to bolster another person. Often as women, we tend to downplay our accomplishments in the attempt to not come across as conceited or to offend anyone. That is all the more reason to tell someone when they have done a good job. JENNY BAKRIGES, you do phenomenal work and I thank you wholeheartedly for your dedication and willingness to share with others.

That being said, if you ever get the chance to take a class from Jenny; run don't walk! Grab your wheel and go! Do not hesitate. Consider hiring her for a workshop for your guild. We need people like Jenny to expand our spinning horizons and let us expand her horizons by bringing her out of VT more! Haha. Thank goodness a genuinely talented and gifted person is willing to share her knowledge!

Finally, let me take this just one step further, we all have talents to share that someone may really want to learn. We all don't have to jump on a cross country circuit to do that. Please take the time to consider what you can share in your everyday life. It might even be as simple as teaching your new knitting neighbor how to knit socks (Hi Sue!). The simplest of things may actually change someone's life or at least open doors for them. Just think about it.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I have notes and notes and notes of things I want to try and experiments to do and if I could ever catch up on this stupid paperwork I would be quitting that stinking stupid crappy spinners club.

Reverend Jeannine Bakriges said...

You're a lovely, talented woman, Lee. I truly wish that "I" lived around the corner from "YOU!" Never before have I seen someone review my classes with such eloquence and such genuine, heartfelt kindness. Thank you. Your family is so lucky to be able to spend each and every day with you. Continue to treasure them and to treasure your own gifts...nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. I look forward to seeing you grow as a fiber artist and spinner.

BAAbins said...

Thank you so very much, Jenny.

And by the way, Beth, your work is too good ever to be in the club!