Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Philosophy at the Zoo?

Meet Dusty, one of the amazing animals I worked with last summer. Please take a moment to gaze into his eyes and then read the following story...


We are all connected...

As I explained in post, "A Dear Deer Story", I am sometimes so touched by an experience that I have to share. I had many wonderful experiences last summer when I was working with the animals and the people who came to see them. However, this particular moment was special to me and I came home right away to share it via email with my friend, Jenny. I will reprint that email now to share with you.


Hi Jenny,

I had a very special experience today at the zoo and I wanted to share. It was a very HOT HUMID uncomfortable afternoon before storms came in and closed the park/zoo. Anyway, I was walking around checking on people when I saw a man standing alone by Leo the Lion's pen. He was a large man with kind eyes and had an intent expression on his face; peaceful yet intent. I walked over to him and said, "Isn't Leo wonderful? He spoke to me in a thick European accent. I am terrible with accents so I am guessing Polish or Romanian. He asked me if the animals knew that they were going to live the rest of their lives here and if they knew certain things. Well, I first explained the basics of how they are rescue animals, yada yada yada. But he kept asking in depth questions as to how much the animals knew or if they communicated. Very interesting.

I explained certain circumstances of their behavior and that I believe that they knew that they were in a good place being well taken care of and that they were comfortable with that. I said they really respond and talk to the main zookeeper because she has been there since the beginning. I explained what a gift it was to save them from euthanasia and what a gift in return they give us by their presence. He told me that when he got home, he would look up specifically what day in the Bible, the tigers were created. He said his dog was created on the 6th day and did I understand that animals were created in one day? And that they were made of the same things as we are, their skin, their bones, their muscles, etc. He explained that the only difference was that we have larger brains so it is our job to care for these animals. He showed me a picture of his dog on his cellphone. He is over 100lbs and sleeps with him every night. He said that he loved him so much that when the dog died, he would too because he did not want to be without him. He said, "With love, there is also great loss and suffering." And I immediately said "Yes, but it is worth it." I told him how Alyssa, my daughter, had recently lost a pet and when she was grieving, I explained to her that she hurt so much because she loved so much...and that was not a bad thing but a good thing. Eventhough it hurts, it is worth it to love and keep our hearts open.

He thought about this and nodded. He introduced himself as Rudy. I told him that I was very pleased to meet someone who had a deep love of animals and respected them. I wished him well, wanting to give him some space and he just stood there so I asked if he would like to join me and walk thru the zoo and see all of the animals with me. One by one I took him by each big cat and he was fascinated like a little child. He said to me, do you realize that we are even made from the same things as the stars in the sky? I said, "Yes, I do. We are all made of love and from love and that we are all energy. Everything in nature and all people are connected. It's just a shame that people have forgotten that and that they don't respect that." I also said that there are small miracles everyday if we take the time to notice. And he replied, "There are often big miracles too and we need to be grateful." He said that there is a time to accept and a time to give back to God. I told him yes, I believed that and we should be more grateful. I explained that I used to work ICU and CCU years ago and that I was with people who died. I said it was as much of an honor being present with someone who died as it was when people are born. It is a sacred thing. He said, "Aaah, so you understand some of the deeper things in life."

We travelled on thru the zoo and he asked so many questions about the animals and he appreciated and laughed and lit up like a child for every one of them. He shook my hand several times and kept looking at my name plate and asking my name. I laughed and told him how much I appreciated meeting him since he had such a deep love of animals. Then I looked at him, after we walked thru the zoo and I said, "Follow me." I snuck him into the fawn pen. All five fawns came up to us and some were licking us. His eyes lit up and he laughed like a child. It was wonderful to see. I felt that talking to him was a gift to me and this was my gift I could give to him. He loved it. I explained about deer and fawns and he said how wonderful all nature is. He laughed such a deep hearty laugh and said, "I've never been this close to anything like this; they are so very gentle and beautiful!"

At near the end of our tour together, my new friend, Rudy, had a woman approach him who called him Reverand. I was not surprised. It fit; he's one of God's angels on earth and I was so glad that I could share a moment with him.

Have a great day,

Lee

No comments: