Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Dear Deer Story

Sometimes I am so moved by something that happens that I feel compelled to write about it. Often, it is in an email to a friend or family member (as you will see in the next posts). However today I am sharing this with whomever is going to take the time to read this...

As I was driving home early this morning, I noticed a perfect fawn was left in the road after being hit by a car. No external injuries, it layed there so quiet and serene...

I couldn't bear to have it just lay there where it may be hit again, so I drove home, parked my car, grabbed some gardening gloves and started walking towards it. While I was walking the hill of my yard, heading toward the road, I was feeling angry that someone could not take the time to place the deer in a safe place off of the road and also deeply saddened that such a beautiful creature had died, tears were welling in my eyes. I looked up at the blue sky and said, "God, I am so sorry one of your beautiful creatures has died; I'm worried about how I'm going to get him off of the road. As silly as it seems, I don't want to hurt him and I don't know if I am strong enough to lift him gently off the road. I could use some help." At that moment, a beautiful white bird, gleaming in the morning sun flew directly above me.

At this time I am at the road and still have a ways to walk. The road is a ribbon of hills and valleys and it is difficult to see any cars until they are right in front of you. Over the hill behind me, I could hear a car honking, three beeps as if in a friendly greeting to someone. I could not see it yet but I was worried since I wasn't close enough to the deer yet, that the car would come up over the hills and hit it. I walked faster and held my breath as this car came up over the ridge. All I could do was watch. It missed the deer, slowed down and backed up. We reached the deer at the same time. I, with gloves in hand, watched as this policeman dressed in casual shorts got out of his car, went to his trunk and grabbed gloves. With tears in my eyes I told him I had found the deer there and was coming to move it to the side and he said, "I'll do that for you." He gently put the deer in the grass. We both thanked each other and went on our way.

It was while I was walking home that I realized, what I had just prayed for, had been answered...

2 comments:

Reverend Jeannine Bakriges said...

So moving and beautiful, Lee. I can hardly type this due to tears in my own eyes. Thank you for sharing.

BAAbins said...

Thank you for being touched by this moment that touched me so much. I didn't mean for you to share my tears! Haha. Thanks again; you are wonderful.