Monday, July 13, 2009

FO: Handspun Shawlette/Scarf

Yippee!! Some stash finally saw the light of day! I aquired this hand dyed roving at MD Sheep and Wool Festival several years ago. 4 oz of Blue Face Leicester became approx. 330 yds of luscious 2 ply yarn. The colorway is so subtle, it reminds me of Amethyst Quartz.



My Grandpa LaCour used to be a "rock hound". He collected many rocks, agates and gems over the years as a hobby and made jewelry. He used to make Malachite jewelry for my Grandma because her maiden name was Malach. He had many of his collected stones and gems on display in a room in his basement that he called "Arnie's Rock Shop". When I was a little girl, I loved to sit with him while he polished his rocks and I learned about Mexican Lace, Picture Rock, Jasper, Jade, Tiger Eye, Malachite, etc. etc. etc. These are my favorite memories of him and I still have most of his collection to share with my children.



Anyway, back to the shawlette, it is 51" x 21". I used the Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl pattern from Ravelry. I enjoyed every minute of spinning and knitting it and would definately use this pattern again.

Our local library is currently having a silent auction for a fundraiser. So donate I did! I hope it finds a happy home!

3 comments:

Reverend Jeannine Bakriges said...

'twill be a lucky person to take that gorgeous shawlette home!

BAAbins said...

Thanks so much, Jenny!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

That shawl is lovely. I love the color.