Monday, September 3, 2007

A Scarf With A Story


Labor Day seems like the unofficial end of summer with the kids going back to school. We've had one of the best summers yet filled with sunshine, boating, swimming, travelling, visiting family and introducing the kids to the ocean for the first time. It is a summer full of memories.

So, when I see this scarf, I'll smile. It was knit in the car travelling state to state with my family to visit other family in TN and SC. This scarf was knit while visiting the ocean and driving through mountains...it has captured a memory.

The beginning of this scarf is a different memory; my family accompanied me to the Midwest Folk Art and Fiber Festival in Crystal Lake, IL. We worked it in as a stop on the way to an extended weekend in WI. It was an enjoyable day with beautiful weather and of course, I can't leave a festival without "fluff" to spin. That, however, I will save for another day to share with you.

Brooks Farm Yarn had a sample scarf on display. The yarn is "Four Play" which is a 4 ply 50/50 silk and fine wool blend. It is truly yummy! This scarf takes one skein (4 oz = 270 yds). I chose colorway M 4P dyelot 22. I'm sorry but the pictures do not do it justice. The colors are actually deeper teals, golds, reds, corals... it was love at first sight. Another bonus was when you purchase one skein, they give you a copy of their scarf pattern. It alternates garter with stockinette (as you can see on the closeup and on the bottom half of the scarf in picture 1) but the "back side" of all garter stitch is luscious too (as you can see on the top of picture 1). It will be a pleasure to wear this winter. Not only will I be warmed by it's beauty but by its memories.

I hope your summer was full of wonderful memories too! Happy Labor Day!

No comments: