Saturday, September 22, 2007

FO: My First Lace Shawl



Charlotte's Web Shawl is finished! It took 5 skeins of Koigu in 5 different colorways ranging from yellow golds/olive greens/corals/golden browns and blues. I'm sorry I didn't save the ball bands so I cannot share the exact dye lot #'s. (The colors are much more rich and vibrant in person.) I blocked this shawl to be about 70" in width and 36" in length.




I had wanted to make this shawl the minute I first saw it but it took awhile until I could find the right combo of colors. One day last fall I made a trip to Needles n Pins . It was a dreary rainy cold day and I needed a little drive cross country to avoid climbing the walls. I had nothing in mind only a small getaway before picking up the kids from school. It was serendipity that a new Koigu shipment had recently arrived. Anyway, I sat down on the floor ( I am known to do that) and played with color combo's until I found just the "right" one for me. I had waited so long to get the right combo and as I layed the skeins out on the floor, the funniest thing happened. The sun broke thru the clouds for a moment and everyone in the shop commented on it. A sign?...it was really funny! My whole day was brightened by the new yarn combo and the thought of making this shawl.



I've had it on the needles for awhile and packed in a box to move to IN. I wanted to finish it but I was stuck on the edging. I didn't want to do the fringe. I'm not really a fringe person and I didn't care for the crochet edging all by itself. I wanted something simple. So when I got it out again recently to finish, I did a search online to look at examples and I found a beautiful example on Knitting Wench's blog . She simplified the shawl by doing a YO edging. I loved it; thank you so much for the inspiration! Aren't blogs wonderful?



So here she is in all her autumn color glory just in time for Autumnal Equinox! I really enjoyed knititng this shawl. It was a wonderful project for my first lace shawl.