Saturday, March 15, 2008

Twirl A Whorl



Sometimes loads of enjoyment comes from the simplest of things. I haven't felt like spinning on the wheel lately or knitting much. So I started to just twirl my whorl for awhile. I have a bunch of little leftovers of dyed fibers that I've acquired throughout the years. Some are Cherry Hill Tree's Powder Puffs purchased here. You can get an assortment of 65 little "puffs" that total 6 oz. They are used for needle felting but are fun to dink around with on a spindle. I'd like to eventually spin and ply a whole bunch of little skeins of different colors/fibers/hand dyes/solids...you name it. Put them all into a basket (just like the cover of Spin Off Magazine Spring 2003) and then just play by knitting them into something scrappy. I've always had a fondness for playing with bits of color and textures in my rughooking and quilting. Now I would like to play more with them in my knitting.



Here is the spindle I am using. Don't you just love the little rabbits chasing each other? I picked this one and some bright roving to brighten the days a bit until spring is finally here. I purchased this spindle 6 years ago from here. When I saw Lynne Vogel's hummingbird spindle in "The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook", I wanted to try one too. By the way, that one book originally gave me the inspiration to learn to spin and knit again. The color combinations of her hand dyed rovings and knitted pieces are wonderful! I automatically knew what I wanted to do with my own dyeing experience from rughooking!

In the meantime, I'll keep twirling my whorl for awhile. I had forgotten how much fun it was and how little increments of time here and there can really add up. So sing along with me...

"Here comes Peter Woolly Tail. Hopping down the spinning trail. Hippity Hoppity, yarn is on it's way!"

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like you are feeling better? Hope we can get together this week for a road trip or just to knit.

Alpaca Granny said...

Your spindle is darling! I smiled as I read your post. I have a large wooden bowl next to my knitting chair. I put all my yardage left over from plying into it. Sometimes I Navaho ply it, or add a thread, whatever moves me at the time to create a 2 ply. These bits of leftovers find themselves into hats.
Maple

BAAbins said...

Great idea, Maple! It's like having little treasures, isn't it?

DMom said...

I love the way you talk about "playing" with color and scraps/bits. I tend to think of my spinning as a bit of work right now, and I'm gonna take your lead and try to think of playing with it more.