Sunday, March 16, 2008

Silly String, Serenades, Salamanders and Snakes???

Sorry no pictures this post. I have been having too much fun caught up in the utter silliness of the day!

I was awakened this morning by a rampage of my husband and two children screaming "Happy Birthday!" and spraying me with Silly String! Pink, blue and yellow strings covered me, my pj's, my bed, etc. better than any Black Widow spider could even dream of! Haha.

After escaping the confines of Silly String, I followed them downstairs only to see a Happy Birthday Banner and tons of balloons being weighted down by my children's stuffed animals. Simba, our 80 lb Collie, caught up in the commotion was parading around with a balloon tied onto his collar and bringing me his toys. Mr. J., my son, was serenading me with a helium induced munchkin voice and then decided to play "The Chipmunks" CD. Only to have my hubby and Miss A., my daughter, tie ribbons onto two of the cats tails as they whirled and twirled in time to the music. Yes it was pandamonium; however, it was the best birthday morning I've ever had! We took a moment in the celebration to each grab a helium balloon or two and step outside into the morning. We each made silent wishes and watched them float away into the sunshine.

We proceeded to go to the Potawatomi Inn for breakfast where the chatty omelet man flippantly said "Happy Birthday" as he dished my omelet on a plate. I laughed and said, "Thank you. It actually is my birthday!" We both laughed at the coincidence. A waitress overheard us and next thing I know I am being serenaded with a candle in a blueberry muffin with ice cream by a flabbergasted waitress. The reason why she was flabbergasted is as she did her "presentation", the next table said, "You have the wrong table. The birthday is over here." And then she looked at the table to the other side of us and said, "So I suppose you are going to tell me you have a birthday too." The funny part is, they did too. What are the chances of 3 tables in a row having a birthday on the same day?? J's comment was, "That's Random!" Haha. Too funny.

We finished a great brunch and then went down to the beach and walked out onto the ice of Lake James. It was about 27 degrees and nippy but sunny. Miss A. and I continued walking thru the forest path to the Nature Center while hubby and J. got the car to meet us there. At the Nature Center, we serendipitously happened to arrive when they were feeding the critters. So we saw, frogs, toads, turtles, salamanders, and snakes being fed. The kids loved it; especially A., who LOVES all things froggy and toadish and was able to help feed them. And hey, how often is it that you can see a rattlesnake fed on your birthday?

Thanks, family for the fun and the smiles! I love you all very much!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

If I had known sooner I would have wished you Happy Birthday sooner. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Your special day is what it is all about; family, animals, fun, happiness, cannot get any better than that.

BAAbins said...

Thanks Kathy!

Sonya said...

What a great birthday! Sounds like you had a perfect day. Next year I recommend you get a tiara. ;o)

BAAbins said...

Sonya,

You are just too special, you little princess! And it even lit up! Loved it!!

I hope your birthday was wonderful too. Congratulations on starting a new decade of your life. Haha.

Don't fret! If it is any consolation, I will ALWAYS be older than you!

Reverend Jeannine Bakriges said...

What a wonderful write-up about a superb birthday celebration. Happy belated Birthday wishes, dear Lee. It's no wonder your family are a bunch of sweethearts...with you as the beautiful matriarch!