Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Great Things Come In Small Packages and a FO

Great things come in small packages. Look what came in the mail for me yesterday! It was like receiving little flowers from the mailman. I recently joined BlankieMania group on Ravelry where we are doing Shelly Kang's Sock Blankie from leftover sock yarn. On this site, Ann agreed to swap some sock yarn leftovers with me. This is the wonderful box I received from her. The amazing thing is, they are all new yarns for me and mine were new to her also. Thanks, Ann!

So...I need to pull out this and get working on it again....

Thanks to Shelly Kang's wonderful idea, I started using up some of my leftover sock yarn and scraps from friends. I started this blanket before I moved and it has been hibernating for most of the past year. It is a LONG term project for me. Iwant to wait until I get a variety of sock scraps...so if you have any, send them my way! I'll probably finish it when I am 193 but it is fun to pull it out once in awhile and add onto it. It waits patiently and enjoys seeing the light of day once in a while! It will be seeing more sunshine soon as I work on the new colors.

For years, I used to quilt. I loved to handpiece and handquilt. When my husband saw this blanket in a basket one day he said, "Hey! You're quilting again!". It does remind me of a crazy quilt. I think that's the fun of it. I get to play with colors, each striping yarn looks different knitted into different squares and I also get the instant satisfaction of finishing something...a square!

Speaking of finished objects and great things come in small packages. I will be mailing the Peaks and Valleys Scarf to my SIL, Penny, this week. It is from Socks That Rocks Lightweight yarn, color Chapman Springs. I asked her to pick her favorite colorway. The pattern I adapted from the "Peaks and Valleys" sock pattern from Mountain Colors.


I have a previous post on it. I laughingly call it my "Scarf of Perserverance" since it started as a shawl. Then I thought she would get more use from a scarf. Then I swatched several different patterns; had one I loved and the yarn pooled so I went back to the drawing board to try a new pattern. Then I had the scarf more than halfway finished only to realize the next time I took it out that about 8 inches of borders were knitted wrong while I was knitting by feel on a dark car trip. SO...it was easier to rip back than repair... with all this and much time hibernating in between, I am glad it is finally finished. I absolutely love it. I think this pattern really enhances the yarn and vice versa. Hope she likes it too!




4 comments:

Sonya said...

Beautiful scarf! Great idea about swapping sock yarns. I think I've used some of what you have in your blanket.

Hope you're feeling better!

A. Warped, knitter said...

You know, you really started something last spring when you walked into "Knitting Today" with your Mitered Squares. Your swap yarns are beautiful. Hope that you are feeling well enough to do a bit of knitting.

Kathy said...

I hate these darn computers sometimes. I typed in some good stuff, tried to get it to publish, then wammy. It was good too! It looks like you got some good yarns to add to your blankie, one of these days I hope to make one but might be awhile. Hope you have plenty of leftovers, maybe not to start a second blankie like Mary but to pass along to your friends. Cannot wait to get that yarn from you. I think I might even make the same scarf or something very similar. Glad you are feeling better, sinus/colds/flu/crud stuff are the worst. See ya soon...

BAAbins said...

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I'll be back to knitting soon! I love this bit of warmer weather; makes me believe spring is actually coming this year. Haha.

See you soon and Happy Knitting!